Wednesday 4 March 2015

Change is a Good Thing! A 3rd Blog Reflection for EDUC 4P27



Hello everyone, and welcome back to my blog! Can you believe it is March already?! As I get closer to completing my undergraduate degree, I am wrestling with the concept of change. While I feel like I am ready for a new experience in Teacher’s College, there is always a part of me that fears the unknown. However, it is comforting that my peers and I will all be navigating 5th year together. I know that I experience a deeper learning experience when I interact with my peers because they often bring up ideas that I never would have thought of, which enhances my understanding of the topic immensely. I also have been learning a lot from the blogs I have been following. Aviva Dunsinger is a particularly inspiring 21st century educator who does an exceptional job of integrating technology into the classroom. One blog
of hers in particular caught my eye because she discusses how everyone is afraid of change at some point in their lives, but the key is not to let your fear prevent you from pursuing all that you are capable of.

Aviva had one of her students, Ella, write a guest blog discussing The Challenge Game. In this game, students ask each other questions in the form of a debate with the aim of promoting critical thinking and the ability to support your arguments. Here is a sample of what this game looks like in the classroom!

As you can see, the students are able to scaffold each other’s learning by asking questions that require critical thinking in order to enhance each other’s responses. Another example of an innovative classroom is Marissa Funk and Carrie Nisil’s City Systems project-based unit for the 1st grade. These two women are educators at Explorer Elementary Charter School, which is a school that values the integration of academic content with emotional and social intelligence in their curriculum. The City Systems is a wonderful integrated curriculum unit which has the students explore their local city in order to gain information which then guided the construction of their own cities. I love this project because the students are able to learn many different subjects and transferable skills all while engaging in a project applicable to real life! Educators such as these examples inspire me to make learning relevant and engaging for my future students. Check the video out to see the student’s experiences firsthand!

http://howtovideos.hightechhigh.org/video/274/City+Systems+Project#share


To combine all of this together, I decided to update my previous web outlining my values as an educator to reflect a more inclusive model. This is because I feel like each component is a core part of who I am, and all of them combined shape the educator I will be. By being true to who I am as a person, I will be able to teach in an authentic and fulfilling way.

 

So with all of this in mind, I agree to jump into teaching wholeheartedly. I promise to myself that I will be a lifelong learner. I won’t let my apprehension prevent me from taking risks, and I will learn from my mistakes along the way. And by being willing to go with the flow, I will be able to provide my students with wonderful learning opportunities which may have not been able to occur otherwise. Teaching is such a rewarding experience, and I believe if we all remember why we want to become teachers, we will always be committed to being the best educators that we can be! So I hope this blog has been able to help you expand how you see education and yourselves as educators. But most of all, I hope that it inspires you to keep pursuing your goals. And when you achieve them, create new ones! Change always leads to a new beginning, and I hope that you and I seize the opportunities that come our way without looking back. I wish the best of luck to all of the future educators out there reading this post. You have chosen the best profession in the world.

Fondly,

Michelle
References
Change quote retrieved from: http://www.quotessays.com/gallery/change-quotes-5.jpg.html
Learn more about Aviva Dunsinger here: http://adunsiger.com/
Learn more about Explorer Elementary here: http://www.hightechhigh.org/schools/EECS/

4 comments:

  1. Michelle! I hear you with the idea of change and not knowing what will happen being scary! I am in the same boat, as for fifth year I will be going to the Hamilton campus which means that a lot will be changing for me... which is quite frightening. I really like the different activities you brought up. As you said, it promotes critical thinking, but it is also an interactive cognitively! I feel that projects and activities that are outside that traditional framework are important because students are able to be more interested and engaged in their learning.
    Also, I really love your commitment and dedication to your values and becoming a teacher. By the sounds of it, you're going to make a wonderful one! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle! Always enjoy reading your posts and this one is also great! I too am in the same boat with being nervous for change and fearing the unknown and agree with how great it is to be able to follow the blogs and teachings of others! That is one thing in particular I love about technology, and how people from around the world can be connected and communicate with one another. With your blog in particular, it is great to see your web of values as an educator and that you are willing to adapt it and be a lifelong learner. I find that sometimes we get stuck in our ways and not only don’t like change but are unwilling to change. This is where I tend to see poor teachers who are stuck in the past and are upset with the way the world and curriculum is changing. I think it is great that you know you beliefs surrounding teaching but are willing to explore new things. You will make a great educator!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle,
    Similar to your previous blog posts you are extremely reflective. You not only realize that there is change but you twist it to be a positive aspect in your teaching. This really influenced my thoughts to be more reflective on outcomes that may seems intimidating at first.The connection you made about who you are as a person will directly affect your actions and behaviours as a teacher is completely true. It is important to be aware of our thoughts (metacognition) as these action will affect our students. I also loved your used of the videos in this blog they supported and enhanced you post!

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an inspiring blog to read. You offer a great example of integrated curriculum in City Systems. You demonstrate that you are a reflective learner in your willingness to know more AND the fact that you are open to AHAs! Rethinking your concentric circles is important although no right or wrong here. You might find yourself changing it again - if you come across some more insights. An attractive blog with lots to recommend it. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete